The wind is kicking up. The clear blue sky is suddenly cluttered with raincloud that blot out the radiant island sun. A downpour is coming and you have only a few moments to pack up and get indoors. Mother Nature doesn’t always give us balmy, tropical days but you shouldn’t let a cloudburst dampen your spirits! There are plenty of things to do when it rains in paradise! We’ve compiled a list of the best waterproof Koh Samui activities that will keep you entertained until the storm blows over.
1. Take a Thai Cooking ClassPerhaps you’d like to learn the secrets of great Thai cuisine straight from the locals themselves! Thai Cooking Classes are one of the most popular Koh Samui activities no matter what the weather and they’re an especially good option when the rain keeps you away from the beaches. Master traditional Thai food and impress your friends back home.
2. Dine at Beach RepublicWhat to do in Koh Samui on a rainy day? How about staying cosy and dry while sampling some of the finest Thai, Mediterranean and Tapas that Koh Samui has to offer. Beach Republic’s varied menu serves up popular Thai dishes like Massaman Curry and Tom Ka Gai, as well as your favourite comfort foods from back home. Got a sweet tooth? Beach Republic’s Caramelized Apple Tart with vanilla ice cream will hit the spot. Beach Republic restaurant, open from 7:00 am to 10:30 pm daily.
3. Shoot Some PoolFeeling competitive and not sure what activities to do in Koh Samui when the beach is drenched? Why not check out some of Koh Samui’s bars and pubs for a friendly game of pool? There are many popular restaurants for locals and tourists alike and offers up classic pub fare alongside Thai dishes, so you can snack as you shoot!
4. Pamper YourselfMaximise your rainy day with a trip to Beach Republic’s Asian Fusion Spa. Western and Asian techniques merge together in a unique, refreshing and rejuvenating experience that you won’t forget soon. Watch your stress and worry dissolve under the care of professionals trained in cherished arts such as traditional Thai massage, Japanese Reiki, Chinese reflexology and Indian Ayurvedic treatments. Unwind and realign yourself, it’s what to do in Koh Samui on a rainy day.
5. Go See a MovieBlockbuster movies and cinema popcorn were made for rainy days. Wait out the storm in the comfort of Koh Samui’s Major Cineplex, where you can see all of the hottest Hollywood movies. Major Cineplex is full of modern, state-of-the-art theatres which make for a very enjoyable viewing experience and among favourite activities to do in Koh Samui. Tropical storms generally blow over quickly, so by the closing credits you should be able to enjoy sun and fun on the beach again.
6. Stock up on SouvenirsWhen the beaches are wet and the sea is choppy, head for Koh Samui’s best shopping destination, Central Festival. Thailand has some of the world’s first class malls and Central Festival is no exception, featuring stores for every taste and budget. Get souvenirs for friends and family back home and don’t forget to pick up a little something for yourself also!
7. Experience Art Like You Never Have BeforeArt Samui takes influential pieces of Thai art and makes them 3D, for a unique and unparalleled visitor experience. The technique is called “trick art” and it’s been delighting tourists since the museum’s inception. Ask a local what to do in Koh Samui that's different and they may very well answer "Art Samui". At Art Samui, you’ll be able to interact with art in a completely new and marvellous way and you'll never look at traditional museums the same again!
8. Visit Magic Alambic Rum DistilleryHave you ever wondered how your favourite spirits are made? Learn the key to creating and flavouring delicious Thai rum at the Magic Alambic Rum Distillery. Tour the distillery and enjoy a delectable flight of rum. Your next daiquiri on the beach will taste even better when you’ve developed a newfound appreciation for the artform of rum distillation.
9. Center Yourself With YogaFor centuries people have practised yoga for both physical and spiritual health. You can reap the benefits of this ancient practice even after one session. Whether you are a yoga expert or a first-timer, you can find a studio that caters to your needs on Koh Samui. Ride out the storm and realign your body and mind.
10. Relax at The Ocean ClubDreary days get a lot brighter in your own private cabana with a canopy to shelter you from the rain. Watch the storm pass with a tropical drink in your hand and a nibble from the Ocean Club. The best part? Once the clouds clear, you’re right on the water’s edge and ready to enjoy sunbathing and swimming once again.
What to do in Koh Samui on a rainy day? Plenty! From premiere dining at the Beach Republic, to awe-inspiring 3D art, fabulous shopping, healing yoga and exclusive treatments at Beach Republic’s Asian Fusion Spa there is so much to do on a rainy